Sunday, April 1, 2012

Tea plants!

I have been pining for tea bushes (Camellia sinensis) for about 3 years, ever since I learned they will grow in our region.  Camellia Forest Nursery in Chapel Hill sells tea bushes, among other gorgeous things, and has instructions for how to make the leaves ready to use on their website.

They aren't, however, open at all times for retail sales.  So, I was delighted yesterday to have remembered that they were open when I was going to have some available money in the bank.

I bought one pink flowering and 3 small leaf tea bushes.  Then, I spent a large part of the afternoon digging up sod.  I finished getting the sod up this morning.

We intend to mulch where most of the shade is in the front of the yard very heavily this year and are buying a trailer to haul it with.  The tea bushes need a semi-shady spot and that means either back in the woods or in the front.  Since the back is REALLY shady, the front seemed to be the best choice.  But, it is full of grass.  And mowing around the tea would be a pain in the buttocks.  And they need soil amendment because our clay isn't their favorite place to live.

So, first, sod removal.



Then, soil amendment with vermiculite, cow manure and "organic garden soil" worked into the native clay, followed by planting the bushes.




Then, mulch.


It has rained here a little bit the last couple of days so the ground was pretty moist, but we are sprinkling them a little anyway to settle their dirt and be sure they have a good start.

I'm just tickled to pieces.



4 comments:

  1. so when you gt to harvest and do whatever you do to make it into tea leaves to drink, do you get to name the brand? Like KC Teas or Labyrinth Farm Blend or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would we not? :-)

    We can start harvesting as soon as the buds get a little longer and doing so will make the bushes get bushier.

    My son is looking forward to having a cup of mom-grown tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kitty,

    Looks like a lot of work! Hope you used pine mulch these plants need some acid in the soil. Never harvested any from our plants they never thrived here. You look like you on the right track with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. 6 yards of pine mulch. I think that circle is about the size of the center of the labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.