Saturday, March 17, 2012

Field day in the bee yard


Last Tuesday was the final class of bee school.  Those of us that chose to took the written part of the NCSBA beekeepers certification exam.  The practical part will happen in the summer when we have actually had bees for a while.

Today we have field day in a bee yard and get to mess with some hives.

I'm a little concerned that this is a cloudy days and it was sprinkly yesterday.  Bees don't care for rainy days and they tend to get testy.  This may be a brief field day.

3 comments:

  1. So what's the credential you are to get? I will refrain from a lot of bee puns here! good luck with the irritated bees who don't like damp weather. I guess it bothers their wings or something. Butterflies are the same, hate the damp because they can't get liftoff. But their annoyance is pretty subtle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boud,

      That test was the first step in the 3 required to be a Master Beekeeper according to the NC State Beekeepers Association. (http://www.ncbeekeepers.org/)

      I don't know that doing that it will be any benefit to me or that I will continue the process; but, taking the test now is easier than doing it later.

      Delete
    2. AND, the weather cleared up and it was gorgeous. I feel much better about handling my own bees when they get here.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.